Sunday in Ofunato- May 22
Ofunato is billed as the "
I guess you would, too. Just down the river is the fresh fish market- flooded on March 11. Down by the bay is the fish packing plant- packed with March 11's quota of fish for processing, now oozing out the bent and broken doors.
You can't always put your best foot forward after a hard knock like the tsunami. So, today was very important to me. Today I got to see the Pastor and members of
Today, I was to give the message. Based on Hebrews 12:18-29, it was entitled "
Sin is unfair. The disaster did not target particularly sinful people, but is part of the disorganization of nature brought about by human sin. Christ came to destroy the work of the devil, and in the face of this monstrous injustice, we can point people to Christ, to salvation from the twisted injustices of sin, both in general, and in our own lives. Yes, many died, but we will all die, and we will all perish eternally if we do not have Christ. We Christians can introduce suffering, disoriented people to the Savior, and bring good out of this evil. We can plug away at fixing the mess, and have a part in undoing the work of the devil.
I spoke also of ambivalent feelings. I found it hard to push into their shattered world as if I had something substantial to offer. Would they not resent officious "helpers" when they felt so battered and vulnerable? I imagined they found it hard, having lived for years in a town considered to be a backwater, to suddenly be thrust into the limelight. Were all these people here to help the victims, or to salve their own conscience, to do their bit and go home relieved of guilt?
And, what of our project to fix the church building? They were still trying to absorb the immensity of the event when a bunch of strangers dropped out of nowhere to tear their church apart and put it back together, and pay for the job. Was it really alright to accept such an offer when so many others around them were in just as much need? How would they ever repay us?
Christ told us, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." We fixed their church for them, and for the sake of Christ. They can now go on serving Christ in this city, and so the debt is repaid, not to us, but to the One to whom we owe all.
There were nods in the congregation, and tears.
I was relieved, because they were relieved. By God's grace, the old barriers that sin sneaks in between us when we try to reach out to each other were taken away. Grace carried the day.
After the service, everyone got to introduce themselves and tell their story. It was my turn to listen, to hear God's message through them, and to be encouraged myself by what He has accomplished.
Shouko Kumagai: " When I finally got here to see how the church was, I was devastated. The windows were broken, the door burst, the furniture thrown around; everything was soaked and covered in mud. I tried to move some, but it was too heavy. How could we ever fix this? Then the Japanese Christians and missionaries came. I couldn't believe how quickly they got it fixed. I had been shocked into lethargy; seeing them move got me moving, too. I realized I could get my life going again."
Tomoko Niinuma:" I had just gotten out of the hospital (emotional problems) the day before the earthquake. I'm still not sure if that was good or bad. I was so shocked. I'm still trying to work things through. I want to be able to serve the Lord again."
Nobuko Niinuma:" I work in the post office. When the earthquake struck, we were told to go to the roof of the building, so up we went, laughing as we climbed the stairs. Then the water came. It crashed through the windows, it got higher and higher; cars were floating by. No one was laughing any more. We watched the city being destroyed, and I wondered what was happening to the church. We were stuck on the roof, then got to a shelter. All we got to eat was one small rice ball. I found my son. When the water went down, we walked home. It took from 7:00 a.m. until noon." (I was told none of the church members lost their houses, but walking across the city would have been difficult and dangerous before the roads were cleared).
Sakami Kumagai:" I work in the city office. I was stuck there for 2 days, working hard. There was no food. My home is in the hills above town, but I couldn't get there because of the gas shortage. I was in charge of passing out gas ration coupons, but didn't dare to be seen taking one myself, lest I be accused of taking advantage of my position. I gave mine to the pastor, and he got gas for me so I could get home. There was no food in my house, no gas for shopping, no stores to shop in. Unless the church had given me food from what they had received, I would have starved. We city employees don't feel we can take anything."
Misako Chiba (Pastor's wife): ( I first met Mrs. Chiba March 27th. She seemed cold and distant, but told me about the many firemen who came from
"I have been visiting the shelters and the city office to see what is needed. They tell us they don't need donated supplies so much now; a workable system is in place. But, the victims have empty hearts, and need what only God can provide. We need to give them that, and we need to help them start helping themselves so they can return to a normal life."
Kazue Oyama: " I work in a shrimp factory, so we were sent home as soon as the alarm was given. Our house is 30 feet above sea level, so I wasn't worried once I got there. But, the water flooded our whole first floor. My parents and I had to go to a shelter. We were there for 24 days. I got so sick I had a high fever . Pastor Chiba visited us and decided he had to get us out. Sakami Kumagai took us in. Her house is in the hills- it's beautiful! What a luxury it is to be able to stretch our legs out straight when we sleep!"
I had a good chat with Mrs. Chiba after the service. She is anxious to reach out to suffering people, as are the other church members. The atmosphere is very different from a few weeks ago, when they were dazed and weary and seemed not to care.
I give heartfelt thanks to those of you who are praying for us. We have all come a long way.
Tonight I phoned Shimotomai Kasumi, the Chinese lady who was the first to ask for a table set for her children. I knew they were scheduled to be moved out of the gym where they have been for 2 months, into a different shelter. When I visited her last, she had lots of room, as only a few were left in the gym. The 3 table sets were spread around, being put to good use.
Today she moved to Camellia Hall, near the train station. She is in a room with 30 other people, mostly elderly. There is only enough room to lie down. She had to ask a friend to store the tables for her. They are not allowed to put up privacy dividers. The residents aren't happy to share their limited space with newcomers, and complain her children are noisy. But, she has nowhere to go until temporary housing becomes available- sometime.
"Oh, well, it can't be helped" she said tearfully.
This morning my wife reminded me that I can't carry the world's problems on my shoulders. I am concerned how we can make good our promise to deliver 90 tables. Ninety! I never dreamed any one place would want more than a few. There are other shelters expecting me to visit again. Anticipating orders of 2 or 3 from shelters, I asked a friend to show a sample set in Ohtsuchi, 90 minutes to the north. Her reply makes it sound like another big order awaits up there. I explained what we are doing this week to the members from Kessenuma church today, and now they are asking me to visit down there- 90 minutes in the other direction.
I cannot do all this- but God can. Pray He will send workers, and also teach us how to teach those in shelters to make their own things. They need a way to help themselves, and make good use of the time that weighs so heavily on their hands.
And most of all, may God give us the words of life for each of these troubled people.
3/11- it's not over yet.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home