Jimoto no Gaijin

Who am I? Since 1985,a resident of Ajigasawa, a small town on the west coast of Honshu, Japan- yes, way up there near the top, in Aomori Prefecture. Problem? I've got the wrong face (Canadian Celt). People still give a start when they round the supermarket aisle and see me. So, who am I? Jimoto no Gaijin- the local foreigner.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ajigasawa, Aomori, Japan

Curiosity- maybe that's why I like cats?

Friday, September 30, 2011

That Sinking Feeling

The low stone barrier thrown up first is now being topped with huge bags of sand to keep the Pacific off Route 45.




This section is not done yet. In the distance is what is left of the massive seawall that failed to stem the once-in-a-millenium tsunami.




How I got lost. All four directions are Route 38?!

Most of the coastline of North Eastern Japan sank a meter- more or less- on March 11, 2011.
What does that mean? Here is the initial work being done in Rikuzen Takada, Iwate, in preparation for storms and surge tides. This temporary barrier protects Route 45, the coast road.
This trip, I was on roads that were under water from recent rains (the drains don't run downhill any more), or that were literally inches above sea level. I discovered that the beautiful Hirota Penninsula (Takata) became and island during the tsunami, as it has a low spot where it joins the mainland. It was a bit creepy driving through there on the way home this evening, especially as I got lost, and came back onto the main road past a sign that said the bumpy, patched-up bit I had been on was closed!

1 Comments:

Blogger Willardsdaughter said...

Really, John, such a clearly marked sign, and in English as well. Didn't you know where you were going?!? ;-) Who really needs Rt. numbers anyway?!? . . . . . (haha)

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home