Beds
The girls had the beds made up before I got the next project done!
The lady of the house was thrilled to learn how to use a drill-driver. This rather random looking item is my answer to entryway clutter. Answer? Well, it helps a bit....
It's way better than sitting on a gym floor with half the town for two or three months, but big challenges remain for those who are now in the temporary units. It is incredible how fast the projects came together, but limitations imposed by time and cost restraints are obvious. Many companies were involved- there are different styles, qualities, sizes and surroundings. One place is a dozen units overlooking a green valley, and near stores. Another is a teeming, close-set 300+ units crowded into a school ground high up the mountainside and far from services.
Today I was building for a family that live on the beautiful Hirota Penninsula in Rikuzen Takata.
Only two buildings are standing in their village, which had 40 houses.The family of 4 has 4 small rooms in a project of 100 some units on a school ground. The floors and ceiling are uninsulated. So much moisture comes up through the floor that the carpet is molding. The outside walls are thin metal panels with a bit of insulation; they sweat on cold days. Winter is coming.
The mother wanted beds. I built a bunk bed for the two girls, and a sleeping platform with storage room undeneath for the parents. That, along with a shelf in a closet and a storage unit in the entry, took me until evening to complete.
As I left, the family came to see me off. The mother was nearly in tears. She confided that she hopes their health holds out until they can get into something better.
'At last I have a bed! I feel like it's a home now. At least, now we have nice beds in this shack.'
Many are working hard to overcome the disaster.
It's not over yet.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home