One Glass of Stomach Eats an Apple
Huh? Or, "Eh?", if you're Canadian.
Either way- what does this title mean?
Since a number of you out there are better at grammer than I (note I didn't say, "than me", at least), could you please confirm for me- that IS grammatically correct, is it not? But, it still doesn't mean anything (the source, incidentally and unsurprisingly: a t-shirt).
Apparently that is what is giving the artificial intelligence people headaches; it is possible to gin up grammer programs, but getting them to produce meaning doesn't come so easily. Whatever IS going on inside our heads that turns electrical impulses in grey mush the ability to produce conversations, poetry and prose? And, to communicate their meaning to another blob of mush by jiggling air molecules?
We have made great strides in our ability to interpret and manipulate our world, but many seemingly simple things are able still to stump us completely.
As late as 1902, qualified experts were writing papers proving mathematically that it was impossible to make a flying machine, so I will not be so rash as to say we will never unravel the mystery of communication to the point of being able to duplicate it artifically. But- what an accomplishment! The Creator's works are truly magnificent.
Either way- what does this title mean?
Since a number of you out there are better at grammer than I (note I didn't say, "than me", at least), could you please confirm for me- that IS grammatically correct, is it not? But, it still doesn't mean anything (the source, incidentally and unsurprisingly: a t-shirt).
Apparently that is what is giving the artificial intelligence people headaches; it is possible to gin up grammer programs, but getting them to produce meaning doesn't come so easily. Whatever IS going on inside our heads that turns electrical impulses in grey mush the ability to produce conversations, poetry and prose? And, to communicate their meaning to another blob of mush by jiggling air molecules?
We have made great strides in our ability to interpret and manipulate our world, but many seemingly simple things are able still to stump us completely.
As late as 1902, qualified experts were writing papers proving mathematically that it was impossible to make a flying machine, so I will not be so rash as to say we will never unravel the mystery of communication to the point of being able to duplicate it artifically. But- what an accomplishment! The Creator's works are truly magnificent.

2 Comments:
Amen. The Creator's works ARE truly magnificent. And though we may have created flying machines, they cannot possibley compare to birds.
Hi John
its been a while since your posted this post - and sorry somehow I guess my English comes to its limits reading this post.
but anyway - I remember you talking about missing comments on your entries...
Post a Comment
<< Home